Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Response to: Was Pythagoras Chinese

Let's Acknowledge Non-European History 

I think that if we are to credit European math history it is also important to credit non-European math history. When I was first debating this stance in my head, I thought that it didn't really matter to students, especially if history is not the focus of the math lesson. But then I thought, even the names of these Greek mathematicians are incredibly dominant in how we teach math and these European names really do matter (even if it is easy to discount their importance to students). I look back to when I was in school and I was fascinated with Ancient Greece, and I would be so excited to learn about how the math was present in this history as well. But if I had known about the contributions from other cultures, would I have also taken fascination with them? I think it is kind of unfair that these European mathematicians get this seen more often. I think that giving credit to all the various contributors is important, as well because it recognizes various cultures and demonstrates the commonality of human civilizations. 

Naming Theorems 

At this moment, I feel annoyed and maybe frustrated with all the theorems that give credit to a person who contributed to them. I think these feelings stem from the fact that it is so difficult to just give one person credit, especially when it is not clear if they were necessarily the true discoverer of these ideas. Then, I think what else would we name them? I suppose practical names would be beneficial. I think in class, a peer told me that in China the equivalent of the Pythagorean Theorem is called the Gou-go Theorem which means the Short-Long Theorem. I think that names like these are more practical, fair, and universal. But then what do you do for theorems where there isn't a simple descriptor name, I'm not totally sure -- maybe just make something up, vote on it?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection on EDCP 442

It is a little bit hard for me to admit that since high school I have grown to have a much greater appreciation of history. It is hard for m...